Untreated, increased stress and burnout can lead to deepening depression, anxiety, substance abuse, and even suicide. Recognizing the warning signs help an at-risk individual take appropriate steps toward self-care.
Upon completion of this course, the physician will be able to:
- Discuss the difference between stress and burnout;
- Summarize the three components that determine physician burnout, per the Maslach Burnout Inventory;
- Describe the various stressors that may contribute to physician stress and burnout;
- List a variety of techniques and resources to help individual physicians combat stress and burnout; and
- Discuss the benefits of mindfulness and self-compassion.
The Texas Medical Liability Trust designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM and 1 credit in medical ethics and/or professional responsibility.