Case Closed: Managing Opioids (3rd Edition)
The claims in this activity have clear risk management issues related to the prescription of opioids and other controlled substances.
Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- explain appropriate patient monitoring techniques when prescribing opioids, and discuss how they might have prevented the misuse or abuse of opioids and other controlled substances in selected cases;
- review risk management recommendations for opioid prescribing that may increase patient safety, improve outcomes, and reduce liability;
- discuss the CDC's guidelines for the use of opioids to treat pain;
- summarize the Texas Medical Board requirements for opioid prescribing;
- recognize signs of drug-seeking behavior in patients; and
- identify sources that outline best practices in the treatment of chronic pain, including multiple approached to pain management and alternative treatment options.
TMLT policyholders who complete this program may earn a 3% discount that will be applied to their next eligible policy period.
The Texas Medical Liability Trust is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Texas Medical Liability Trust designates this enduring material for a maximum of 2.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This course has been designated by TMLT for 1 credit in medical ethics and/or professional responsibility.
Review and re-release date (2nd Edition): November 11, 2020
Review and re-release date (3rd Edition): January 17, 2023
Expiration date: January 17, 2026