February 3, 2008
TMLT to award $40,000 in medical student scholarships
Laura Brockway, communications and advertising manager
(512) 425-5936 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Austin, TX — One student at each Texas medical school will receive a $5,000 scholarship thanks to the 2008 TMLT Memorial Scholarship program. Launched in 2005, the program awards $40,000 in scholarships annually to Texas medical students who are interested in finding creative and effective ways to enhance patient safety.
Scholarship recipients will be chosen in a competitive process that weighs each student's financial need along with their ability to evaluate the patient safety concerns in a closed claim study and communicate their recommendations in an essay. Entries will be judged by the TMLT Board of Governors, which is composed of 9 Texas physicians.
Deadline to apply for the scholarship is Monday, June 9, 2008. Winners will be announced in September.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must:
- be entering their third or fourth year of study at a Texas medical school in the fall of 2008;
- be in good academic standing;
- be able to demonstrate financial need;
- be able to communicate a commitment to patient safety and medical risk management through an essay; and
- be a current student member of (or have a student application pending with) the Texas Medical Association.
To apply, students should submit the following:
- a completed application (incomplete applications will not be considered);
- an official medical school transcript; and
- a short essay (no more than 500 words) describing the risk management considerations for a closed claim study provided with the application.
Texas Medical Liability Trust is a physician-owned, health care liability claim trust offering medical liability insurance products to Texas physicians. Created in 1979 by Texas Medical Association, TMLT currently protects more than 14,000 doctors in all specialties practicing in all areas of the state.
About the Author
Laura Hale Brockway is Assistant Vice President of Marketing at TMLT and has more than 17 years of experience in communications, 15 of those years with TMLT. Ms. Brockway has also worked for Seton Healthcare Family and the Texas Academy of Family Physicians. An honors graduate of the University of Texas at Austin, Ms. Brockway holds an Editor in Life Science (ELS) certification from the Board of Editors in the Life Sciences. She is also a contributor to Ragan Communication’s PR Daily website and is the author of the blog, impertinentremarks.com. Laura Brockway can be reached at email@example.com.More Content by Laura Hale Brockway