September 8, 2010
TMLT awards four $10,000 scholarships
Laura Brockway, communications and advertising manager
(512) 425-5936 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Austin, TX — TMLT is proud to announce the recipients of the 2010 TMLT Memorial Scholarships.
- Douglas S. Lewis is a third-year student at Baylor College of Medicine;
- Robert G. McAtee is a second-year student at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston;
- Scott McIntyre is a fourth-year student at Baylor College of Medicine; and
- Nathan Wright is a fourth-year student at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston.
Launched in 2005, the program awards $40,000 in scholarships annually to Texas medical students who are interested in finding creative ways to enhance patient safety. Scholarship recipients are chosen based on each student's financial need and written essay.
For the essay portion, applicants for the 2010 scholarship were asked to write risk management considerations for a closed claim study provided by TMLT.
In 2010, TMLT received 57 applications from students at eight Texas medical schools. The TMLT Board of Governors evaluated the applications and chose the recipients. Winning essays are published on the TMLT web site and in TMLT's newsletter, the Reporter.
TMLT is the state's largest medical liability insurance provider, serving nearly 15,000 Texas Medical Association (TMA) member physicians. TMLT is a health care liability claim trust created and endorsed by TMA and owned by its physician policyholders. The Trust is headquartered in Austin, Texas.