Austin, TX — Texas Medical Liability Trust (TMLT) is proud to announce the winners of the 2006 TMLT Memorial Scholarships.
- D'Andrea Michelle Anders is a fourth-year medical student at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston.
- John Spencer Chiara is a third-year medical student at Texas Tech University Health Science Center School of Medicine.
- Jessica Dalby is a third-year medical student at Baylor College of Medicine.
- Tara Hagopian is a third-year medical student at the University of North Texas Health Science Center's Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Chad D. Housewright is a fourth-year medical student at Texas A&M University System Health Science Center College of Medicine.
- Eric Jon Larsen is a fourth-year medical student at University of Texas Medical School at Houston.
- Joshua Delbert Mitchell is a third-year medical student at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School.
- Stephanie Watson is a third-year medical student at University of Texas Medical School at San Antonio.
The $5,000 scholarships were awarded to one student at each Texas medical school. Scholarship recipients were chosen based on each student's academic achievement, financial need, and written essay. Winning essays will be published on the TMLT web site (www.tmlt.org) and in TMLT's bimonthly newsletter, the Reporter.
The TMLT Memorial Scholarships were created to recognize academically gifted Texas medical students who are interested in finding creative ways to enhance patient safety and who can communicate their ideas in a short essay.
"This year we selected recipients from among 48 applicants and all who applied demonstrated exemplary achievement," says Dr. Dennis Factor, chairman of the TMLT Board of Governors. "The essays revealed that Texas medical students have given considerable thought to how they will address patient safety when they practice medicine," says Factor.
Texas Medical Liability Trust is a physician-owned, health care liability claim trust offering medical liability insurance products to Texas physicians. Created in 1979 by Texas Medical Association, TMLT currently protects more than 14,000 physicians in all specialties practicing in all areas of the state.
About the Author
Laura Hale Brockway is Assistant Vice President of Marketing at TMLT and has more than 17 years of experience in communications, 15 of those years with TMLT. Ms. Brockway has also worked for Seton Healthcare Family and the Texas Academy of Family Physicians. An honors graduate of the University of Texas at Austin, Ms. Brockway holds an Editor in Life Science (ELS) certification from the Board of Editors in the Life Sciences. She is also a contributor to Ragan Communication’s PR Daily website and is the author of the blog, impertinentremarks.com. Laura Brockway can be reached at email@example.com.More Content by Laura Hale Brockway