March 12, 2009
TMLT to award four $10,000 scholarships in August 2009
Laura Brockway, communications and advertising manager
(512) 425-5936 or email@example.com
Four Texas medical students will receive a $10,000 scholarship thanks to the 2009 TMLT Memorial Scholarship program. Launched in 2005, the program awards $40,000 in scholarships annually to Texas medical students who are interested in finding creative and effective ways to enhance patient safety.
Scholarship recipients will be chosen in a competitive process that weighs each student's financial need along with their ability to evaluate the patient safety concerns in a closed claim study and communicate their recommendations in an essay. Entries will be judged by the TMLT Board of Governors, which is composed of 9 Texas physicians.
Deadline to apply for the scholarship is Monday, June 15, 2009. Winners will be announced in August.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must:
- be entering their second, third, or fourth year of study at a Texas medical school in the fall of 2009;
- be in good academic standing;
- be able to demonstrate financial need;
- be able to communicate a commitment to patient safety and medical risk management through an essay; and
- be a current student member of (or have a student application pending with) the Texas Medical Association.
To apply, students should submit the following:
- a completed application (incomplete applications will not be considered);
- an official medical school transcript; and
- a short essay (no more than 500 words) describing the risk management considerations for a closed claim study provided with the application.
The TMLT Memorial Scholarship program began in 2005, and since that time $150,000 has been given to 30 Texas medical students.
Texas Medical Liability Trust is a physician-owned, health care liability claim trust offering medical liability insurance products to Texas physicians. Created in 1979 by Texas Medical Association, TMLT currently protects more than 14,000 doctors in all specialties practicing in all areas of the state.