Feburary 14, 2011
TMLT commits $40,000 in scholarships to Texas medical students
Laura Brockway, communications and advertising manager
(512) 425-5936 or email@example.com
Austin, TX — Four students at Texas medical schools will earn a $10,000 scholarship from the TMLT Memorial Scholarship program. Annually, the program awards $40,000 in scholarships to Texas medical students who are interested in finding creative and effective ways to enhance patient safety. The scholarship has awarded $230,000 to 38 students since it was started in 2005.
Scholarship recipients will be chosen in a competition that weighs students' financial need along with their ability to evaluate the patient safety concerns in a closed claim study and communicate their recommendations in an essay. The TMLT Board of Governors, which is composed of nine Texas physicians, will judge the entries.
Deadline to apply for the scholarship is June 3, 2011. Winners will be announced in August 2011.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must:
- be entering their second, third, or fourth year of study at a Texas medical school in the fall of 2011;
- be in good academic standing;
- be able to demonstrate financial need;
- be able to communicate a commitment to patient safety and medical risk management through an essay; and
- be a current student member of (or have a student application pending with) the Texas Medical Association.
To apply, students should submit the following:
- a completed application (incomplete applications will not be considered);
- an official medical school transcript; and
- a short essay (no more than 500 words) describing the risk management considerations for a closed claim study provided with the application.
Texas Medical Liability Trust is a physician-owned, health care liability claim trust offering medical liability insurance products to Texas physicians. Created in 1979 by Texas Medical Association, TMLT currently protects more than 15,000 physicians in all specialties practicing in all areas of the state.