September 26, 2011
TMLT awards four $10,000 scholarships to Texas Medical Students
Laura Brockway, communications and advertising manager
(512) 425-5936 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Austin, TX — Texas Medical Liability Trust (TMLT) is proud to announce the recipients of the 2011 TMLT Memorial Scholarships.
- Duane Akwar is a fourth-year medical student at University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
- Elizabeth Rossmann Beel is a second-year medical student at Baylor College of Medicine
- Clay Buchanan is a second-year medical student at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
- Charles Willnauer is a second-year medical student at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine.
Launched in 2005, the program awards $40,000 in scholarships annually to Texas medical students who are interested in finding creative ways to enhance patient safety. Scholarship recipients are chosen based on each student's financial need and written essay.
For the essay portion, applicants for the 2011 scholarship were asked to write risk management considerations for a closed claim study provided by TMLT.
The TMLT Board of Governors evaluated the applications and chose the recipients. Winning essays are published in TMLT's newsletter, the Reporter.
Texas Medical Liability Trust is a physician-owned, health care liability claim trust offering medical liability insurance products to Texas physicians. Created in 1979 by Texas Medical Association, TMLT currently protects more than 15,000 physicians in all specialties practicing in all areas of the state.