September 3, 2009
TMLT awards four $10,000 scholarships
Laura Brockway, communications and advertising manager
(512) 425-5936 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Austin, TX — Texas Medical Liability Trust (TMLT) is proud to announce the recipients of the 2009 TMLT Memorial Scholarships.
- Joseph H. Childs is a fourth-year medical student at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston.
- Wilbur Dattilo is a third-year medical student at Baylor College of Medicine.
- Cliff Hampton is a third-year medical student at Baylor College of Medicine.
- Ravi Kumar is a fourth-year medical student at Texas A&M University System Health Science Center College of Medicine.
Launched in 2005, the program awards $40,000 in scholarships annually to Texas medical students who are interested in finding creative and effective ways to enhance patient safety. Scholarship recipients are chosen based on each student's financial need and written essay.
For the essay portion, applicants for the 2009 scholarship were asked to write risk management considerations for a closed claim study provided by TMLT.
In 2009, TMLT received 112 applications from students at eight Texas medical schools. The TMLT Board of Governors evaluated the applications and chose the recipients. Winning essays are published on the TMLT web site and in TMLT's newsletter, the Reporter.
TMLT is the state's largest medical liability insurance provider, serving nearly 15,000 Texas Medical Association (TMA) member physicians. TMLT is a health care liability claim trust created and endorsed by TMA and owned by its physician policyholders. The Trust is headquartered in Austin, Texas.